Save Your Cache for Grace

Yeah, I was expecting more.

After hearing so much about Chef Joseph Citron, I was expecting Cache Restaurant to knock my socks off. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad.... Probably around a 7.... So "good"..... Just not orgasmic.

My list of complaints could go on forever, but the foie gras was bland (but it's seared foie gras, so I can't complain too much), the pork was sort of bland as well with no zest, the steak was mediocre (just a basic wine reduction), and the pizza almost looked soggy. Nobody finished their meals, and there was absolutely no commentary amongst a table of fellow bons vivants. Just silence. Almost as if there was some unspoken assumption that the food wasn't that good and we shouldn't speak of it.

After we paid our bill, we made our way over to a Whole Foods, where A picked up some blessings and gifts for his bartender friends at Grace. Now THERE was a place of brilliance! I had one of the bartenders mix me my usual: "Something girly and strong" (you'd be suprised at all the fun drinks I get). This time, it was an inspired strawberry martini--only instead of stopping at pureed strawberry, slices of strawberry, and vodka, he chose to mix in some crushed thyme, which was faint and distinct enough to prolong that "fresh, first bite of cold strawberry" sensation. It was rather brilliant! Long after the drink went cold, that fresh sensation lingered. Wonderful!

The group also split some mini donuts, which are taste explosions in your mouth. Sweet and spicy and sour and salty and cinnamonny and fruity and doughy all in one taste, with a scoop of ice cream in the middle. Literally. A taste explosion. I have no had anything like this, EVER. I loved it! And T said they change it up every week, which only inspires me to keep going, maybe next time to try the food. Grace might have been a far better pick than Cache, with comparable ambiance, and MUCH better drinks and desserts. Can't wait to try and review the full menu!

Cache Restaurant
3110 Santa Monica Blvd., Santa Monica, CA
http://www.cacherestaurant.com/

Grace
7360 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, CA
http://www.gracerestaurant.com/

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Theme images by 5ugarless. Powered by Blogger.